Tuesday, April 25, 2006


I can sense foreshadowing in the making. We submitted our offer Sunday, no word on Monday. My realtor calls Monday evening, a little jittery, do you want me to reduce my commission so you can offer more? No, hold tight I say. This morning, I send ask her to please tell the buyers they have 24 hours to respond, we want to make an offer on a different house. The buyers say no deal.

An hour later, the phone rings again. Ha! Amazing what happens when you don't care anymore. They'll take our offer, but need to close sooner. They want the 10th, we countered with the 15th of next month. Still waiting for the answer, but I have the sickening feeling this is going to happen.

Now I'm starting to panic. I realize that we need to figure out how to pay for all of this. I call my mortgage broker to discuss. Imagine that you can't finance a house and then move the house! Go figure. We need a construction loan. In order to get approved for the construction loan, we need plans and an entire list of the materials required. Hubby and I haven't even started discussing the plan, much less found an architect.

So, the plan for the moment, if the contract is signed and binding, we will buy it using traditional financing, try to sell our home, move into little house all the while formulating our plan. Then we will bum off everyone we know to crash at their place for a few weeks while we build our house.

Anyone mind 2 slovenly adults, 2 high energy whiny kids, 1 non-stop barking dog, and 1 barf and pee all over the place cat?


Sara said...

We'll take everyone except the cat - we already have one of those!

Lee said...

Commuting from Melbourne could be an issue...

Anonymous said...

Ha!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who buys houses on accident.