Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Advertising out of hand

The naming of sports arenas and buildings is completely out of hand. When The Summit became Compaq Center, I refused to use the new name. Now we have Minute Maid Park (formally Enron Park), Reliant Stadium, and the Toyota Center.

Even the commercial breaks are now a commercial- "and now we break for the Ford moment". People are tattooing their foreheads for advertisements. And now, a town in Texas, has renamed itself Dish, Texas.

How much could I get for naming my kid James Coney Island?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much could I get for naming my kid James Coney Island?

Probably years and years of expensive for psychotherapy for the poor kid!

"mrjzjd"

Sara said...

The most ridiculous thing I saw lately was during a football game. The 1st down was "brought to you by ____" - I don't remember who (which makes me happy because it means the advertising didn't work on me. ha! pig capitalists!)

It also made me think - uh, no - the 1st down was not brought to me by (whoever), it was brought to me by the damn football team!!! Uhg.