Monday, August 01, 2005

Buying a new car?

Be sure to check out Fighting Chance. Props again to Mister Crunchy for the link. They will help in negotiating the best deal on your new car. Buying a car must be my least favorite activity. Pulling into the dealership parking lot and seeing the vultures sitting on the steps. Watching as the rock/paper/scissors game quickly takes place and then the winner approaches before you can even open your door.

"Hi! How are you doing today? What are you looking for? How can I help you?"

Hours later, dazed, disoriented, hungry, and thirsty, you're left in a small office. The salesman enters with the huge grin.

"So, what is it going to take to get you in the driver's seat of this car today? What payments are you looking for?

Well, actually I would rather discuss price.

Sure, and how about $350 a month payments? That sound about right?

I don't care about payments, I care about the total price.

Okay, so, let's look at getting you in this fine vehicle for $350 a month."

And my favorite part is the dramatic pause, the passing papers back and forth, the salesmen running off to "get approval from his manager" and if you ever do get out of that loop, the financing and the extended warranty, rust protection, we'll keep adding costs until you say Uncle!

Maybe there is a better way to buy a vehicle.

Disclaimer: no offense intended towards car salesmen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frustrating. Here is how I avoid that. First, I never buy a vehicle off the lot. I order and get exactly what I want. Second, with a little homework from the sales information I give them exact what I want and stick to that, no changes allowed or discussed and ask for their best offer no negotiating and mention that I have ask other dealers for the same. I then pick the best offer.

Anonymous said...

Yup, there's a better way - buy a Saturn. You still have to get the loan, but all Saturns are sold at the sticker price. No negotiating.

Chris said...

The question with Saturn is whether the lack of negotiating is worth the price premium you pay. With the fax/email blast, I ended up paying hundreds under dealer invoice, and I didn't negotiate with anyone.