Saturday, December 30, 2006

The new year

Instead of setting out with resolutions for the new year, I want to instead look back on the year and think about areas I can improve. Looking at the areas of mind, body and spirit, I know that I can improve on all three.

Mind
I did a fairly good job at the areas of the mind. My new job is technically challenging and I continue to educate myself in the areas of real estate investing. I also signed up for golf lessons in January along with a friend, so I am carving out time for myself to relax and rejuvenate.

Body
I can see that by joining the gym, we will be much more consistent with exercise. I know that I have lots of room for improvement in what I feed my body and I plan to concentrate on this area. I have not been as diligent in what I feed the kids and I will concentrate on this as well.

Spirit
This is the area that most needs improvement. One of the key values I wanted to instill in my children is compassion towards others. I am consistent in delivering this message, but the message needs more action. Consistently donating items we no longer use and giving money to various charities is not enough. We need to give something even more scarce and precious- our time. The children need to see first hand how they can directly help others and how important it is to help those less fortunate. I think they are finally old enough to be a help rather than a distraction.

1 comment:

Lee said...

"...I know that I can improve on all three." Can't we all!