Monday, June 06, 2005

Unbelievable

I got a strange phone call Friday evening. Someone trying to reach my neighbor and her phone was busy for the last three days. This caller seems very concerned and tells me it is very important she reaches her. I don't recognize the name, so she gives me her address. She lives several houses down, across the street from our old house. I take the message down- have her call Mrs. Buchanan at 888-......, claim number....., tell her it is extremely important. I am concerned up until the 888 phone number. Wow, a creditor! You have got to be kidding me. So now, they don't only harass the debtor, but the neighbors as well??? How is THAT legal?

5 comments:

Michael said...

Dang. You gotta be kidding me.

I'd be torqued if a creditor called me to deliver a message to somebody I didn't even know while disguising their call to sound like concern.

Anonymous said...

Fair Debt Collection Act. Google this. I don't think that is legal and you may have recourse against the collector.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is legal, although I've heard of it before.

I would be so totally irritated.

Courtney said...

I filed a complaint with the FTC. I feel better now :)

Anonymous said...

I found this doing a bit of searching.

"Calling around to find a debtor is not illegal. It only becomes illegal if the collector already has the debtor's location information and/or the collector discloses personal information about the debt and debtor."

Since they obviously already had the debtor's location what they did was illegal!

Go get'em!