Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Memories

Michael, at Chasing the Wind, has a touching story today of sorting through his son's room after leaving for college. It makes me think of this morning when my daughter woke up really early. I picked her up out of her crib and rocked in her the glider for a few minutes. And I was having flashbacks to when she was a tiny little infant and I would rock her in that chair. I was trying to remember every detail of the moment realizing that with just a blink she'll be starting kindergarten, middle school, high school, getting her driver's license, going to prom, leaving for college. The reason behind our actions as parents is to prepare our children for these life events; to become independent. And yet when that time comes, it bittersweet. And the time we've had nurturing and caring for our children and witnessing their firsts is all too short.

1 comment:

Michael said...

They tell me that my best years are approaching now that my child has grown and moved out.

I think that's just something people say to comfort you. The youngest years are the best.