Monday, April 18, 2005

My poor, sweet baby

This weekend was close to my worst nightmare. Picked kids up from school on Friday afternoon and the school tells me the girl has been crying all afternoon. Still not sure why they didn't call me, but when I got to her, I realized she was having difficulty breathing. I rush home to give her benadryl, which has helped before. Waited an hour and she wasn't any better, so I called the pediatrician. He hears her in the background and tells me to take her to Texas Children's Hospital. Hubby is not home from work yet, so I call my parents. My dad stays with the boy and my mom rides with me. Hubby meets us at the ER. Several hours later, we finally get a room in the ER. They give her breathing treatments of albuterol which she fights terribly.

Several hours later, around midnight, we think we are leaving soon as she is breathing fine. They send us to x-ray for a chest x-ray, just to be sure it's not pneumonia. We get back to the ER and wait for the results. Doc comes and checks again and this time she's wheezing really hard. They start her on continuous wet breathing treatments and start pushing steroids and eventually trying several different meds to get her lungs to open up. She slowly starts improving and my husband comes back to relieve myself and my mother Saturday morning as we had 15 minutes of sleep in the night.

She moves to the progressive care unit, which is one step below intensive care Saturday morning. By the time my mom and I get back that evening, she is off the continuous treatment and doing much better. She continually improves through the night and we are discharged Sunday around 11. This morning she's not sounding as good and we are going to the pediatrician's office this afternoon. We also have a follow up with an ultrasound on Friday as they found a calcification on the x-ray. The doctor is sure it is nothing, but needs to follow up on it.

Needless to say, we are all exhausted physically and emotionally and seeing my baby girl hooked up the all kinds of monitors and an IV was almost more than I could bear. She was such a trooper. She fought the first treatment, but after that, she took every poke and prod so well. She was so brave.


Michael said...

Wow... you sound like you're holding up well, despite the ordeal. But what's the cause of the wheezing and breathing difficulties?

Hang in there, Mom. You're doing fine.

Anonymous said...

(((((hugs))))) to all of you, and extra (((hugs))) to your poor little one.