Monday, March 20, 2006

Feminism

What a loaded word! What does feminism mean to you?

I will tell you what it means to me. To me it means choice and respect. The choice to live your life as you see fit, not as someone else sees fit. To respect other's decisions even if they are the polar opposite of your own. The word feminism means to me mostly to respect other women for the decisions they have made. It also means being an equal partner when in a relationship. Hubby and I had a discussion a long time ago with friends of ours from college. They believed, as many do, that the husband has the final say- he sets the course and direction of their life with input from the wife. They stated how can you follow on a path if two people are both trying to lead the way? Someone has to have the final say.

That explanation did not make sense to me at the time and it still does not make sense to me today. I think of marriage as a partnership. There has to be compromise, and sacrifices on both sides to further the greater good- the family. Sometimes I give more, sometimes he does. It all balances out in the end. A decision is not final until both parties agree with the decision. And the decision is typically better in the end because of the give and take and because both people have equally contributed in the process. That is what works for us. We have similar values, similar goals, and similar dreams. And we both agree that we are equal partners in this journey.

No comments: