Wednesday, July 21, 2004

What did the author mean?

I never understood this exercise in school.  My engineering mind always thought "duh- he means what he says, right?".  Apparently not, or at least not to those wanting to read between the lines.  I'm in the mood to use my brain today.  I've always been intrigued by Rush's lyrics and thought I would try to figure out what they really mean.

One Little Victory
(Vapor Trails)

A certain measure of innocence
Willing to appear naive
A certain degree of imagination
A measure of make-believe

A certain degree of surrender
To the forces of light and heat
A shot of satisfaction
In a willingness to risk defeat

Celebrate the moment
As it turns into one more
Another chance of victory
Another chance to score

The measure of the moment
Is a difference of degree
Just one little victory
A spirit breaking free
One little victory
The greatest act can be
One little victory

A certain measure of righteousness
A certain amount of force
A certain degree of determination
Daring on a different course

A certain amount of resistance
To the forces of life and love
A certain measure of tolerance
A willingness to rise above

Let's see.  Fight for what you believe in even if it seems you are fighting the impossible.  One person can make a difference.  Told you I wasn't very good at this.



3 comments:

Michael said...

It sort of sounds like he's describing a football game. Or maybe dating.

Courtney said...

I think you're worse than me ;)

Daniel said...

With Rush it's difficult to know, but here's my take on this song.

It's vital for each of us to keep a balance of natural urges within us. We each have the power to control our destinies and affect the world around us. We need a little bit of everything, every moment, to keep us moving forward in a celebration of life. To live fully is to master yourself and use your abilites to their fullest; to create, to proclaim your wonderfulness and celebrate the victories you post.