Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Interesting Read

Do Bush followers have a political ideology?

While I tend to agree with some of the points made, I do think it's all a bit exaggerated. Although this was not the point of the article, what irritates me more than anything is the name calling and the mud slinging. As written by one of the commentors:

It's true: political labels are too often used as weapons rather than as descriptors with reliable meaning. "Liberal" and "conservative" have become code words for enemies and friends.

Honestly, I belong to neither side. I want the government to just stay the hell out of my life, thank you very much. I especially do not want "Big Brother" getting into my personal life which pushes me more into the liberal arena. And the Republicans have only increased the size of our government since gaining control. I do find it terrifying the numbers of Americans who continue to support the president without question or any analytical thought.

Thanks to Mister Crunchy for the link.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I don't entirely agree with him - just opposing Bush, for instance, doesn't make one a liberal. There are plenty of things on which conservatives criticize Bush.

I'm confused on the 'especially do not want "Big Brother" getting into my personal life which pushes me more into the liberal arena' comment. Liberals generally support larger government programs such as welfare, social security, government health care, etc. Why doesn't that push you more toward the conservative side? (I'll concede the point that the current group of Republicans have not been fiscally conservative, but the Democrats hardly offer an alternative, so I've focused on the traditional "conservative" vs "liberal" idealogy.)

Paul said...

Liberal and conservative. Several months ago, I did a web search for the definitions and discovered that both groups "want to maintain the status quo."

At best the labels are useless; at worst they are dangerous.