Monday, October 08, 2007

Just when you think all hope is lost...

Something amazing happens. Just to give a little background information, the boy not only struggles in school, but also in baseball. Coach started him off as catcher but soon sent him to outfield due to his lack of attention. During practices, he is regularly sent to the bench for goofing around, disrupting others, not listening. His father and I stand out by his position at left field so we can yell at him to stop playing with his hat, taking off his glove, talking to his friends on the other team....

That is why batting practice took all of us by surprise Friday evening. He stepped into the cage and was determined and focused. Coach couldn't find any flaws in his technique and was amazed after he hit time and time again. He told me after practice he'd seen kids turn around, but never that soon in the season. He was truly amazed. Saturday morning was the game and the boy again brought that focus and determination. He even brought in the winning run.

After the game, the coaches give their take on how it went overall and the head coach gives out the game ball. As soon as he started talking about the turn around in attitude and amazing batting practice, I knew it was the boy. The boy knew as well because he turned around to look at me and gave me a knowing nod. I cried I was so proud. I retold the story to his father later that afternoon as he was working and missed the game. He cried as well.

It is wonderful to see him reaching his potential and being recognized for it.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Good to hear! Give him a hug for me.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!