Thursday, December 30, 2004

Living forever

I recently read an article that caught my interest in Popular Science magazine about Aubrey de Grey and his theories about combating aging. His philosophy is not to look for one mechanism that causes aging, but rather to treat various aspects of it at the cellular level. A synopsis on de Grey can be found here.

The thought of living 5000 years really is not that appealing to me. Maybe several hundred, but thousands? Imagine the population explosion or the absolute devastation when a loved one dies of an accident. Instead of life getting cut short decades, it could be cut short in the thousands. It's hard for me to imagine such a world. Realistically, we are moving closer and closer to immortality. I guess that's why some people have their heads put on ice when they die.

No comments: